Norton, Christopher - American Popular Piano: Etudes, Level 8 - Piano Method Series*
American Popular Piano – Etudes
Level Eight – Etudes
Publisher: Novus Via Music Group
Authors: Christopher Norton, Scott McBride Smith
This is one of four level-Eight books in the American Popular Piano series - the educational piano course by Christopher Norton and Scott McBride Smith.
The series has 11 difficulty Levels, and each Level contains: Repertoire album with CD; Etudes album (including Improvisation); Skills book; Technic (technique) book.
For late intermediate students
- Difficulty and musicianship issues similar to classical sonatinas
- Whole, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth note, dotted-half, dotted-quarter
and dotted-sixteenth note, triplet eighth, triplet sixteenth
- Whole rest, half rest, quarter rest, dotted-half rest, eighth rest
- pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, crescendo and diminuendo
- Slur, legato, staccato, accent, tenuto, grace notes
- 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, and 6/8 time signatures
- Key signatures up to two sharps and two flats
- Repeat, 8va, 8vb, tie, fermata, ritardando, a tempo
- Fine, DC al Fine, Coda, DS al Coda
complement the corresponding Repertoire Album with traditional technical etudes in both classical and popular styles and through a revolutionary, module-based approach to improvisation.
- Technical Etudes: builds solid fundamentals by focusing on specific technical and musical elements; offers an enjoyable approach to improving facility;
- Improvisation Etudes: delivers a practical framework for learning improvisation; integrates effortlessly into traditional piano lessons; module structure provides intuitive, progressive development from the very first level; encourages creativity and spontaneity; trains critical active listening skills.
- Barbican Blues
- A Day on the Beach
- Big Blue
- Up and About
- A Night in Lima
Technical Etudes- Classical:
- Poco Vivo by Heller
- Allegretto by Kohler
- Allegretto by Lemoine
- Andante by Heller
- Allegretto by Bertini
- Allegretto by Czerny
Technical Etudes - Pop:
- In the Saddle
- Keep It Going
About the American Popular Piano series:
“Why can’t I play more music like this?” asked a fourteen-year-old piano student. “My friends like to hear me play cool music.”
Why not, indeed. J.S. Bach taught his sons using the music of his time – popular dances, preludes and exercises by living composers. It would never have occurred to him to seek out pieces in styles and rhythms one hundred years old. He expected his boys to thrive in the musical world of their time.
American Popular Piano has been developed on the same principles. Students working in this series will…
- Develop traditional pianistic and musical skills through music in contemporary, popular styles;
- Be motivated to practice by working on music that is familiar, fun, and that they can’t wait to play;
- Nurture their creativity and spontaneity through a user-friendly modular approach to improvisation;
- Enjoy regular ensemble playing;
- And find pleasure in a lifelong relationship with music!
Written entirely by Christopher Norton and Scott McBride Smith, American Popular Piano is an educational piano course which comprises 44 books, clearly divided into 11 difficulty levels. With 4 resources in each level from which people can pick and choose, the series provides a fuller curriculum, including important skills such as improvisation.
The integrated, comprehensive course of study provided by American Popular Piano ensures the development of well-rounded piano fundamentals using a combination of classical and popular styles. Each of the eleven levels – from Preparatory for the first year of study, then through the progressive levels 1-10 – includes a Repertoire Album with an Instrumental Backings CD, a supporting Etudes Album, a Skills Book, and a Technic (technique) book.
Order No. NVM 20
Inventory # HL00399019
ISBN: 9781897379196 (1897379196)
Series: NOVUS VIA MUSIC GROUP
Publisher Code: APPE-08