Norton, Christopher - American Popular Piano: Repertoire, Level 2 - Piano Method Series w/CD*
American Popular Piano – Repertoire
Level One – Repertoire
Publisher: Novus Via Music Group
Composer: Norton, Christopher
Editor: McBride Smith, Scott
This is one of four level-two books in the American Popular Piano series - the educational piano course by Christopher Norton and Scott McBride Smith.
The series has 11 difficulty Levels, and each Level contains: Repertoire album with CD; Etudes album (including Improvisation); Skills book; Technic (technique) book.
For students in their early years of study
- Full triads and pedal
- Whole note, half note, quarter note, dotted half note
- Whole rest, half rest, quarter rest, dotted-half rest
- pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, crescendo and diminuendo
- Slur, legato, staccato, accent, tenuto, grace notes
- 3/4, 4/4, and 5/4 time signatures
- Key signatures up to two sharps and one flat
- Repeat, 8va, 8vb, tie, fermata, ritardando, a tempo
- Fine, DC al Fine, Coda, DS al Coda
a wide selection of pieces in three distinct categories:
· Lyrical: develops beautiful tone; reinforces careful listening; nurtures musical expression; improves finger control;
· Rhythmic: instills a steady beat; improves counting; refines articulation; ensures secure syncopations; internalizes the pulse;
· Ensemble: hones listening skills; encourages regular ensemble playing; offers rich musical textures even in early studies; reinforces musical continuity.
The CD, which comes only with the Repertoire Album, contains accompanying instrumental backings both for the Repertoire Album's ensemble pieces, and the Etudes Album's Improvisation modules:
· provides convenient practice and performance tempos for realistic
support of the learning process;
· stimulates daily ensemble playing;
· creates a full band improvisation experience;
· makes reaching a polished performance just plain fun!
- Gracefully Done
- Snow Ballad
- Spinning Song
- Song For a Cowboy
- Swan Song
- Clear Sky
- All Alone
- Prairie Song
- Back on the Bike
- Soccer Mania
- Light as a Feather
- In Charge
- Getting Ready for Battle
- Beach Walk
- In Short
- Freedom March
- Taking Time
- Sword Swallower
- Breaking Rocks
- End of a Lovely Day
- Another Siesta
About the American Popular Piano series:
“Why can’t I play more music like this?” asked a fourteen-year-old piano student. “My friends like to hear me play cool music.”
Why not, indeed. J.S. Bach taught his sons using the music of his time – popular dances, preludes and exercises by living composers. It would never have occurred to him to seek out pieces in styles and rhythms one hundred years old. He expected his boys to thrive in the musical world of their time.
American Popular Piano has been developed on the same principles. Students working in this series will…
- Develop traditional pianistic and musical skills through music in contemporary, popular styles;
- Be motivated to practice by working on music that is familiar, fun, and that they can’t wait to play;
- Nurture their creativity and spontaneity through a user-friendly modular approach to improvisation;
- Enjoy regular ensemble playing;
- And find pleasure in a lifelong relationship with music!
Written entirely by Christopher Norton and Scott McBride Smith, American Popular Piano is an educational piano course which comprises 44 books, clearly divided into 11 difficulty levels. With 4 resources in each level from which people can pick and choose, the series provides a fuller curriculum, including important skills such as improvisation.
The integrated, comprehensive course of study provided by American Popular Piano ensures the development of well-rounded piano fundamentals using a combination of classical and popular styles. Each of the eleven levels – from Preparatory for the first year of study, then through the progressive levels 1-10 – includes a Repertoire Album with an Instrumental Backings CD, a supporting Etudes Album, a Skills Book, and a Technic (technique) book.
Order No. NVM 3
Inventory # HL00399002
ISBN: 9781897379028 (1897379021)
Series: NOVUS VIA MUSIC GROUP
Format: Softcover Media Online
Publisher Code: APPR-02