Norton, Christopher - American Popular Piano: Repertoire, Level 7 - Piano Method Series w/CD*
American Popular Piano – Repertoire
Level Seven – Repertoire
Publisher: Novus Via Music Group
Composer: Norton, Christopher
Editor: McBride Smith, Scott
This course of study, published by the Novus Via Music Group, is now distributed by Hal Leonard. It features eleven progressive levels, with four different books at each level: repertoire, etudes, skills, and technic. It starts with a preparatory level for first year students, and then includes levels 1-10 for ten years of study. These books provide comprehensive curriculum in diverse musical styles, with instrumental backing tracks on CD with the repertoire books.
Students who use the books in this series will learn how to: develop traditional pianistic and musical skills through music in contemporary, popular styles; be motivated to practice by working on music that is familiar, fun and that they can't wait to play; nurture their creativity and spontaneity through a user-friendly modular approach to improvisation; and enjoy regular ensemble playing, finding pleasure in a lifelong relationship with music.
a wide selection of pieces in three distinct categories:
· Lyrical: develops beautiful tone; reinforces careful listening; nurtures musical expression; improves finger control;
· Rhythmic: instills a steady beat; improves counting; refines articulation; ensures secure syncopations; internalizes the pulse;
· Ensemble: hones listening skills; encourages regular ensemble playing; offers rich musical textures even in early studies; reinforces musical continuity.
The CD, which comes only with the Repertoire Album, contains accompanying instrumental backings both for the Repertoire Album's ensemble pieces, and the Etudes Album's Improvisation modules:
· provides convenient practice and performance tempos for realistic
support of the learning process;
· stimulates daily ensemble playing;
· creates a full band improvisation experience;
· makes reaching a polished performance just plain fun!
- A Restless Spirit
- Lonely Waltz
- Lazy Day
- At Dusk
- Cold Clear Da
- A Delicte Hue
- Feeling Glue
- On the Lake
- Don the Track
- I Still Got It
- A Bird in the Hand
- Dingbat Blues
- Lion Tamer
- Free Ride
- Dancing Together
- Judgment Blues
- Byou Tapestry
- Cruising Along
- Five a Side
- On the Crest
- Don 'n' Out Blues
- One Horse Race
- Man About Town
About the American Popular Piano series:
“Why can’t I play more music like this?” asked a fourteen-year-old piano student. “My friends like to hear me play cool music.”
Why not, indeed. J.S. Bach taught his sons using the music of his time – popular dances, preludes and exercises by living composers. It would never have occurred to him to seek out pieces in styles and rhythms one hundred years old. He expected his boys to thrive in the musical world of their time.
American Popular Piano has been developed on the same principles. Students working in this series will…
- Develop traditional pianistic and musical skills through music in contemporary, popular styles;
- Be motivated to practice by working on music that is familiar, fun, and that they can’t wait to play;
- Nurture their creativity and spontaneity through a user-friendly modular approach to improvisation;
- Enjoy regular ensemble playing;
- And find pleasure in a lifelong relationship with music!
Written entirely by Christopher Norton and Scott McBride Smith, American Popular Piano is an educational piano course which comprises 44 books, clearly divided into 11 difficulty levels. With 4 resources in each level from which people can pick and choose, the series provides a fuller curriculum, including important skills such as improvisation.
The integrated, comprehensive course of study provided by American Popular Piano ensures the development of well-rounded piano fundamentals using a combination of classical and popular styles. Each of the eleven levels – from Preparatory for the first year of study, then through the progressive levels 1-10 – includes a Repertoire Album with an Instrumental Backings CD, a supporting Etudes Album, a Skills Book, and a Technic (technique) book.
Order No. NVM 8
Inventory # HL00399007
ISBN: 9781897379073 (1897379072)
Series: NOVUS VIA MUSIC GROUP
Format: Softcover with CD
Publisher Code: APPR-07